“Being grateful for each mistake, since each has been sent as a guide to our progress.”
Have a question? – Hit Reply to any of the emails you got from me or – write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Will you benefit from my guidance?
Have you been wanting to ask your doubts, get clarity, make progress without confusion?
Experience surer and faster progress using real time Calls, any time corrections, focused practice steps made specifically for you.
You could be a beginner or been playing for sometime.
Your interest could be playing
– Indian style raga or film songs fluently like it is sung
– Rhythm and chords
– Fingerstyle and Chord Melody
– finding notes and chords on your own
– singing while playing rhythm
… or any other combinations and specific interest that you want to learn from me.
I will be asking your specific goals, assessing your current skills, setting up short and long term projects to take you where you want to be.
Problems you are facing:
If you are a beginner:
- you want to play Indian music that you are really familiar with, but most teachers and instruction is western.
- you are taught notes without underlying skills and best practices – dim future learning.
- you want to learn with someone whom you trust, whose teaching methods are beyond just remember and repeat, whom you know is an expert at the specific style of music on guitar, demonstrated clearly in youtube videos.
- you want clear methods and instruction specific to your individual needs, in small chunks that you can easily practice in the limited time available in between more important life demands.
If you have been playing for sometime:
If you are interested in Indian style fluency:
- your interest could be playing Film songs or raga/ carnatic songs
- you want to play beyond just hitting notes, but you don’t know how to bring the fluency and connection in your playing – disconnected, wrong speed of slides if at all.
- You need detailed corrections and guidance at each syllable, move, finger level.
- available resources maybe beyond your level – you need custom notes, tutorials that match your level without being overwhelming
- Using song as a tool, you want to learn the real skills and competencies instead of playing 100 songs mediocre
- you want to understand the underlying structures of music that will help you learn and play music on your own in the future, being able to find notes on your own, chords on your own etc.
- you need very specific practice notes you can practice even if just for 5 minutes, that will take you from your current skill level to being able to play well what you really want to play, what made you interested in playing the guitar.
Rhythm, chords, chord melody/fingerstyle, sing with chords interest:
- you want to be able to play rhythm confidently knowing if you are doing it right, in rhythm
- you want to improve the fluency of your playing using paint brush methods, bass and treble string usage
- you want to learn how to fluently change chords, learn the skills of preparation, right finger usage
- you want a systematic approach, correcting your playing from open position to intermediate stage to using barre chords confidently – you need a teacher who can correct and give you intermediate steps to smoothen out any problems
- you want to do Smart chords – only 3 patterns to play any – not any silly database rote memorization
- be able to find chords on your own
- be able to play chords while you or others are singing This is a special skill I keenly help with – starting with downstroke to syllable connection, going through different rhythm variations, you learn to perfectly latch your rhythm to the lyrics, making mistakes impossible.
- you need very specific bit-sized practice content which you can do even for 5 minutes without having to think. I will take care of the chunking and planning, to take you to your goals
Carnatic, Indian songs, chord melody, rhythm and singing… from where you are to what you want to really play – we use the content to teach you the underlying skills and competencies. Vertical skill growth.
How do we do it?
(See more details below)
3 real time online calls every month
Real time interaction for accountability and direction Three weekends every month, we will be on a call – you don’t need more
- one on one – 1 x 25 minute clarity call every month with Shyam to assess your needs, progress and bring sure and fast progress. Ask anything, get guidance, motivation, accountability, course correction, stay on track.
- 2 small group zoom interactions every month for real time question answer sessions and doubts, peer learning. These are small groups – you will be on video, asking me doubts and questions just like in 1-1 call. Common topics, answers – you will benefit.
Recap: 3 times a month, we will be on real time calls to ask me anything you want direct answer for. So, beyond video corrections you get the Zoom/Skype call advantage in case that is important to you. Using group and 1-1 we will be able to execute it without much time zone confusions, finding time etc.
Focused practice videos specially made for you
so that even if you have only 5 minutes, you will know exactly what to do, send me in your own time, get individual corrections
– any time text chat support directly from Shyam. No need to wait – ask and clarify any time
– individual content and tutorials from Shyam based on your need, skills, doubts
– structured video corrections, clear practice points ready to use: made specifically for you
Your unique needs
As you join:
- if you are a beginner you will be given the exact content for best practices, connectivity and sustain etc starting from hitting your first note
- if you have been playing for sometime, please send me a video showing whatever you already play
- I will be able to see where you are skill wise, give you very specific practice you can do in 5 minute sessions, to take you to your next level
- We will be discussing your goals, fixing the content we will practice on, set projects to take you to your goals
Sending me practice videos
- you will be sending me practice videos based on the content you were given. I will be giving corrections to them along with what exactly you need to do next.
- correcting details and playing on real calls is inefficient. I need to see you do some specific exercises and corrections on video without distractions
- practice videos are meant to be imperfect. they are not performance videos. do the exercise assigned to you. just turn on your phone, record, send.
My 1-1 students started doing video corrections once they realized how students were progressing with that method. See the practice assigned to you, do consistent practice, record as you practice, send to me, get the next steps. 1-1 calls are useful for guidance and face time, but from experience I require my students to do their practice and put them on video for me to watch and correct without distractions. Also, no time zone issues and forcefully taking time out of life.
Always connected on skype or email
Anytime you have a doubt – what do you do? Send me the doubt on Skype chat or email. Get corrections and guidance without having to wait for the next class hour.
This is a big advantage compared to traditional methods. I want competency and skill improvement, not being paid for time spent artificially. So you will have my expertise any time.
In reply to your questions you may get a text answer or audio or video or links to the relevant tasks.
Full access to existing ragacourses content
Don’t miss out on my decades of experience, condensed into videos and pdfs, categorized for the different topics of interest.
Learn from them at your own pace, ask me doubts on chat or calls, get corrections and individual content.
Learning never stops. You don’t wait to progress. (See real life student examples and experience below)
MISMATCH vs reach your goals
You have seen my free tutorials and playing videos and probably already know how you will benefit from me.
I don’t just show you what to play. Not just remember and repeat.
When playing gets difficult for you, I give you the underlying mechanics to correct errors and keep going.
Instructors may just say – practice more or question your talent. (I was told I couldn’t play rhythm)
I am specifically interested in seeing your errors, mistakes and difficulties and offering solutions to your specific needs.
You may be practising for yourself, to play with family and friends, maybe perform or record or compose.
It is your right to move towards progress in what you dream or have always wanted to do. I am here to facilitate with details, analysis, solutions, frameworks, methods, techniques, accoutability, clarity, support…
To be your trusted advisor
My name is Shyam.
I have a BTech from the IIT Madras.
Started playing our specific style of guitar 3 decades back.
Been teaching formally for around 1.5 decades.
I have the ability to analyze, sort and build frameworks that you will benefit from. That is what I have done here for you, to your benefit.
I act as a mentor and trusted advisor. You have access to me all the time. Not just paying for the time, but for outcomes.
How will you benefit?
(See real student interaction examples below along with unforeseen advantages to further your playing and learning)
Your Learning progress has a GPS
From where you are skill wise, to where you want to be, what you are really motivated to play.
Always clear with the goals, course correcting to make sure of your desired outcome.
I ask students to restate the goals and tasks we mentioned. Also to see if the tasks and goals match.
One student did the following – very well done with outcomes and kind of assessments:
And he thinks the following about our method:
With me, we learn the real HOW-TO.
Not just remembering and repeating, but learning the underlying mechanics that will set your free.
With the offer on this page, you have so many different ways to have access to tap into my expertise, along with accountability, ease of getting guidance, clarity, made for you practice paths etc.
How we do it:
1. Chat guidance. Anytime get answers.
This is a big advantage:
Doubts and confusion don’t turn up just once a week.
No wait chat guidance, doubt clearance directly with Shyam.
We will be connected on Skype or email – all our chat, all the content links I give you stays in one place.
You can ask me doubts any time & you will get answers, custom content, private tutorials, like the real examples below:
and I reply with the correct next step for the specific skills and goals along with any necessary content snippet to practice and learn.
2. Clarity 1-1 real time calls
You have already watched my playing and tutorial videos. My students tell me that even when they have all the tabs, because of the details involved, they need my help to play them like it is sung or to play connected rhythm and chords.
The clarity 1-1 real time calls (Skype) will let us regularly check in, correct course and make sure the instruction is matching with your individual goals and skills.
A student says:
I accidentally ran into Shyam’s free youtube lessons and subscribed to them. I was pleasantly surprised to received more foundation videos and guidance from Shyam’s team without charging a penny.
I joined Shyam’s music learning portal www.ragacourses.com. In less than 2 months, I was learning to play film songs, geethams and even a keerthanai alai payudhe. This is more progress than i have ever made in the several years of trying to figure things out myself or trying to learn from other resources.
Shyam is a gifted musician and a teacher who knows precisely how to teach indian music on guitar in such a way that anyone with interest can start making progress very quickly. I am truly delighted to have started this musical journey through ragacourses.com and becoming a student of Shyam Monk.
– Sarvesh, San Jose, California
and you get:
3. Custom content and private tutorials
You are an individual. Your music learning needs are unique.
So you get private tutorials, content just made for you etc, like in the real life example below:
Notice, how smoothly it works asynchronous? No need for waiting for calls. Just type as it comes, I reply as I see it, you get to continue practice without doubt and wait.
4. Video practice submissions and corrections
Mistake videos Send me snippets of your practice.
Do the assigned tasks, repeat them enough times, put them with all the mistakes and problems and submit your practice videos.
You can either send it to me directly on Skype or upload to youtube as unlisted and send me the link – only person with link will be able to watch.
We can discuss this in our first call.
To paraphrase Rumi:
“Be grateful for each mistake,
since each has been sent
as a guide to our progress.”
Clear corrections and content for you Going through your practice videos
- I note down and correct your mistakes
- correct any underlying mechanics
- give specific exercises to improve your skill
- suggest specific content you need to go through – for each of your needs and skills, I have years of content prepared to address each aspect of improving.
- set a time plan if needed
- tell exactly what parts you need to practice next
Shankar, an engineer from California says:
Avinash, another engineer from California says about why video recording corrections method works:
You get private videos specifically made for you after watching their practice videos. Not just pre recorded videos.
Remember: Practice videos are meant to be imperfect, unlike performance videos. I want to see your mistakes and know your problems. I am NOT asking you to make performance level videos. Just that you take the time to practice enough to put them into a video.
Together, anytime chat, structured corrections, custom content and private tutorials WORK!
Join me. Let us do this together
5. Group calls. We all benefit
You are in good company
(these are small groups – essentially you get 1-1 kind of doubt clearance and guidance without the time fix hassles + learning from other answers)
I was not a group call kind of person.
Once I started it though, I started seeing how everyone benefitted
– the quality of interaction between the group members
– others benefitting from one persons question answer
– exchange of content… Beautiful
2 group class hours every month
- Saturdays or Sundays, German time 6pm/9am PST/12am EST
6. Ragacourse membership access for FREE
I have been playing for 3 decades.
Been teaching formally for atleast 1.5 decades.
I am good with analysis, frameworks, product development.
I have condensed my years of expertise to core video content that is basic requirement for our styles of playing.
You can use them at your pace – no need to pay 1-1 money. You have me to ask doubts and get corrections.
Topics in the membership vault include:
First touch – the very beginnings
Guitar basics that matter
Rhythm chord basics
Indian guitar first steps
Indian guitar skill growth
Rhythm Chord Mastery
Specializations and electives:
Sing + chords
Fingerstyle and chord melody
Finding chords on your own
This is in addition to the private tutorials and custom content you get as a student who interacts with me.
Manju was working intensely on finding notes on his own, a tough task. Now he has started his own youtube channel and is on his way to complete independence:
Why not just Skype classes?
You know the answer already by now.
- Video students beat call students Students who pay $300 or $400 per month for real time Skype calls all started doing video submissions once they realized how the video based students were playing with more completion, developing their own feedback loops etc.
Balaji, who is a 1-1 skype student since 5 years, who also does video corrections says about why video corrections are beneficial for even self assessment and correction:
Want outcomes? I will help you. Want to just hangout? Call a fixed time content provider. 🙂
Many rely on just skype calls because they haven’t understood yet how real learning happens. Guitar playing is not just about information – it is transformational – involves repetition, feedback, corrections, clarity.
Also, from the teachers’ side, it takes clarity and expertise to be able to make clear videos.
You should be paying only for outcomes, not for being available for a fixed time.
I have nothing better to offer
This is THE ultimate training I can offer. Custom content, real time calls, anytime doubt clearance, corrections just for you, making sure you are practising well and to the point…
I should charge a least $10,000. What do you think?
3 decades of my life energy and time + 10,000s of dollars spent on learning music. Finding the sources, working the missing links out, building frameworks that students will benefit from.
PLUS the options to learn: 1-1 + group + anytime chat + corrections + all content access +…
I have already given 100s of youtube videos for free along with tabs and articles. My conscience is clear to charge any price, but I want to still give options that are accessible to most since … 🙂
I thank my students for bringing me joy:
Options to work together
(call coming up this weekend)
If I open up just 1-1 skype calls, it will be at $50 or $75 per 25 minutes. The above options let us do calls and 3 group calls at a similar or lower investment every month for 3 months.
I guarantee detailed intrinsic improvement to your playing and outcomes that you want as long as you work with me and progress according to our path and corrections.
Anytime within the first 10 days if you don’t wish to continue, I will give you a complete refund. We are anyway connected on Skype and email.
I myself will urge you to take a refund if I understand I am not the right person for you.
Why 3 months:
– 3 months gives us the chance to plan and execute something substantial, bring relevant change and progress
– it will be a waste of student money if someone doesn’t continue practice. Accountability is better when there is a 3 month period
– if I open up just 1-1 call slots, it will be at $50 or $75 per 25 minutes. But with this 3month option, I am able to give group calls + 1-1 calls for a similar or lower investment
If you are already enrolled as a student, we can either pause it for the time being OR add this 3 month option to it. As you wish. Just let me know – will do it from my admin. After or during the 3 month period you have freedom to choose what to do next.
If you are paying for only per hour real time classes (Problem):
- you miss out on the years of validated expertise and instruction condensed into core videos you can use at your own pace whenever your life permits.
- you don’t get the core knowledge you need, given in the videos, based on which you can build your individual needs and skills.
- you will be paying 1-1 money for standard instruction already available in videos.
- songs and other tutorials are already made and available – I do not wish to charge money to repeat it. Instead the student can go through the tutorials I give them, appropriate to their skill, show me what they have tried, ask any doubts or questions, get corrections where needed and get real outcomes.
- A lot of guitar and music instruction is common to any of us – not individual needs but what we need to learn about the music and the instrument. Learn it from the videos instead of wasting time and money. Then ask doubts and build upon what you have tried.
- you will be wasting time by reinventing the wheel. Instead go through available content in the videos and use the time with me to ask your individual doubts.
- you will be getting diluted corrections. The progress is in the corrections.
- you will have to adjust to the fixed timings, time zones. Recorded practice videos and corrections allow us to do it at our own time – not some job or time commitment we are forced to.
- you will have to wait to ask your doubts. Instead with me, use the text chat and ask me anytime you are stuck. You will get answers specifically for your need.
- you will miss out on videos submission: faster and surer progress is made when we can record our practice, including mistakes and problems. We save time, the content is clearer, I am able to give you better feedback and corrections.
Personally, I am unable to too many real time calls. Time is limited. Also, I have certain health and wrok requirements that need me to limit speech to 2 – 3 hours a day.
What after this course?
After the 3 months of working together, you can also then choose to continue getting corrections from me using available options. You can decide it then if you need to.